Saturday, November 04, 2006

Moses' Big Day Out!





(Present mood - Famished)
(Listening to - Virtual Insanity by Jamiroquai)





(Seemed the best title since "The Exodus" and "There and Back Again" were taken ;) )

So it's been QUITE some time since I've updated, and a fair bit has happened too. I'll try my best to start at the beginning.

First off, MidTerm Break (aka "Reading Week") was upon us. That's a whole week off in October. I happily spent it with Bones and Ainz - two very close friends of mine, who are my first married couple in terms of the whole priestly life. :) For those who wonder, no I can't actually legally marry anyone, but I can officiate the entire service except the "Do you? I do! Now sign the book" part. Anywho, this required a trip to New Haven - a 14 hour trip by train. Yuck. So the 22nd of October rolled around and I was off!

For the record, though a long ride, the train was quite comfy. Lots of leg room, big comfy seats, and get this! An outlet for plugging stuff in! THAT was grand. Very helpful for those with laptops and portable DVD players. I used mine on the way back. On the way down, however, I read my new book "The Gospel According to Sherlock Holmes". (very very fun!) My one complaint about trains - believe NOTHING of what they say initially to departure concerning how long it will take to get there. Between stupid hold ups due to construction and other little "hiccups", we were near a whole hour late into New York. Sheesh.

Speaking of NY, I must say that the scenery was okayyy. Not breathtaking, by any means, but okay. I was expecting a little something given that we had to go allll the way accross the state of New York, and I've only heard good things about upstate. However, given that most of the buildings and businesses down by the tracks are hardly what I'd call "ritzy", but since it was Fall, the colours and chill in the air gave one of my favorite looks to the towns. Oh, not to mention that the graffiti actually had some effort put into it. I know that sounds ridiculous, but damn! It's an ART form in some places. Hardly comparable to the scrawlled gangtags of most.

Anyway, got into town at 1AM, after jumping from New York to New Haven - the familiar leg of the journey, as I made it a couple of times when visiting last time in NY city. From the moment I got there, what fun! New England is always great this time of year. Got the intro to Yale, the basics of NH, ate at the "birthplace of the hamburger" (heh), and just happily got to hang out with my friends between their work and school. Ainz even got to practice bellydancing for a workshop for a middle school she had to teach, which was pretty cool. Oh, and Bones works in the Yale bookstore, which is also awesome. It was nice to hang out and get my comicbook jones back on, and get back on top of the mess that's there. Ahh. A lovely week had, really.

Of course, classic Moses this past year, I missed my ride back. This time, though, I can honestly blame the city of New York, because one of the subway workers pointed me in the wrong direction to get to Penn Station from Grand Central. *sigh* Bad enough I stayed up till 4am to catch the first train back to NY which takes 2 hours exactly, only to miss the important train that only leaves once a day at 7:15AM specifically, but it being on account of people just not wanting to help out?? Fucksakes. Anyway, I at least got to exchange my ticket for the next day (didn't even miss class or nuttin'), but it cost an extra $25 - which presently, I will fight to bill to the city of NY. :)

This little blunder, however, led to a GREAT result, though! That night just happened to also be the Halloween party night at Yale! So, with Bones as House from the "House" TV show, and Ainz as the little girl from "The Ring" (Gahhh, so scary!), I nabbed a quick well-to-do authentic Jason hockey mask and away we went. Quite a few great costumes, and Ainz was freakin the hell outta ANYbody who looked, cause she even went so far as to disjointedly walk around like the girl. *shudder* It was freaky. And of course, I did my best to walk slowly and speak as little as possible, tossing creepy blank-eyed glances all around as I went. Whee! No Freddy's to fight nor Mike Myers to contend with, though I did bump into Jesus who said, as I glared at him, "Hey! (he points) I'll get YOU later!" Hil-AR-ious. :)

Anyway, I got home on Sunday in one piece, and am presently finally readjusted fully to a normal way of sleeping when on campus. *L* My only regret thus far is not having a big meat cleaver or butcher knife to go with my mask.

Anyway, this week's been fun and constant all at once. Not much to report save that we burned Guy Fawkes a few days early so that the "kids" could go drinking on Thursday and have a debate about him. There was a whole mini-ceremony about it in the courtyard, as a straw-stuffed Guy was set ablaze, with a mock Bishop and officials leading us all in a scripted mob and singing of God Save The Queen. Whatta laugh!

Hmm. Aside from that, not much to report, except that it's friggin NOVEMBER. AHH! Where the hell is the year goin?... Guess I'd better start Christmas shopping...

More later! Hopefully a "me as Jason" picture post! :)

(oh, and FYI - http://spectre-general.livejournal.com/ is my friend Bones' LiveJournal. His wife is the creepy Ring lady pictured in the first post. Yee!)

3 comments:

kevin said...

sounds like an awesome weekend my man. excellent and radical all at the same time. :)

Moses J said...

Tell me about it! All in all though, grand day out! :)

I gotta read your blog more often! So much happening! Aah! Get well and feel better soon, bud.

soggytofu said...

For lack of a better way to reach you, these are the sites I mentioned:

http://web.ku.edu/idea/

http://accent.gmu.edu/